sábado, 16 de novembro de 2013

ARC Review: Roomies - Sara Zarr and Tara Altebrando

Roomies by Sara Zarr and Tara Altebrando
Publication Date: December 24th, 2013
Pages: 288
Age Group: Young Adult
Source: Netgalley (Thank you Little, Brown Books for Young Readers!)

Synopsis

It's time to meet your new roomie.

When East Coast native Elizabeth receives her freshman-year roommate assignment, she shoots off an e-mail to coordinate the basics: television, microwave, mini-fridge. That first note to San Franciscan Lauren sparks a series of e-mails that alters the landscape of each girl's summer -- and raises questions about how two girls who are so different will ever share a dorm room.

As the countdown to college begins, life at home becomes increasingly complex. With family relationships and childhood friendships strained by change, it suddenly seems that the only people Elizabeth and Lauren can rely on are the complicated new boys in their lives . . . and each other. Even though they've never met.

National Book Award finalist Sara Zarr and acclaimed author Tara Altebrando join forces for a novel about growing up, leaving home, and getting that one fateful e-mail that assigns your college roommate.


I am so glad that I decided to check my email at the time that I did or else I probably wouldn't have gotten this book and I would have missed out...a lot!

This book is told both from Lauren and Elizabeth's point of view and I think it gives an interesting look into their lives, at the same time so different and so similar. Lauren lives in San Francisco with her parents and her five brothers and sisters while EB lives in New Jersey with her mother. I think that this book is very easy to read (it only took me a few hours) but it does deal with important topics such as the fear of leaving for college, friendship, sex, family relationships...

The characters were all very believable and had very human emotions. No one was perfect and they all had flaws which helped making the story interesting. Lauren and EB (or Ebb as Lauren would say) are amazing! And their friendship was great even with all the rocky moments that they had to fight through. I felt really connected to all of them and I cared about what happened to them. (Lauren did annoy me a little bit at one point but she fixed everything!)

The pacing was good for the most part of the books but towards the end of the book I did start to get a bit impatient and wanting the story to go faster. 

I deffinitely recommed this book to anyone who wants to find a quick read that deals with important topics!

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário

Thank you so much for stopping by! Please, feel free to leave a comment! I try to answer everytime! :)